In order to apply for your tax refund, it is necessary to send us the following documents:
- Copy of W-2 or a final cumulative pay slip from each employer
*W-2 is a tax form which shows the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck for the year and is used to file your federal and state taxes. You should only receive a W-2 if you are an employee. If you are an independent contractor, the work you do may be the same as an employee, but you will receive an earnings statement on a Form 1099 rather than a W-2.
-In case you do not receive the W-2 form, we can use your last pay stub in order to apply for tax refund.
*Pay stub (or pay slip) is a weekly or monthly document which you received along with your weekly or monthly pay check. To prepare your tax return we need the final pay stub you got from each employer.
*Using the W-2 you can speed up the refund process
- Copy of you SSN – we need your Social Security number in order to file a tax return. The Social Security number consists of nine digits in the format XXX-XX-XXXX.
- Copy of your visa and passport
- Completed and signed OptimumTax application (download)
- Filled Form 2848 Power of Attorney. (download)
* Make sure you set the paper size to A4 and the resolution to at least 300dpi. Save the file in PDF or JPEG format before you email them to us. Each file should not exceed 2MB. If you have any difficulties with scanning your documents, please contact us
*If you were in USA on J,M or F visa, and your employer mistakenly deducted FICA taxes from your earnings, in order to get refund, you will need to send us additional documents:
- Copy of DS-2019 form,
- Copy of I-94 (if you cannot find this number, you can go to this link https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/, fill out the form and directly from this website print the form with this number).
*It is necessary to have a Form W-2 to get this refund. The average period of waiting for this refund is between 6 months and 2 years.
If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us and we will reply as soon as possible.